Commonly called the Ten Commandments
The Commandments Exodus (Shemoth) 20:1-17
- And Elohim spoke all these words saying,
- “I am Yahweh your Elohim,
who brought you out of the land of Mitsrayim, out of the house of slavery.
have no other mighty ones against My face.
- You do not make for yourself a carved image,
or any likeness of that which is in the heavens above, or which is in the earth beneath, or which is in the waters under the
- you do not bow down to them, nor serve them. For I, Yahweh your Elohim am
a jealous El, visiting the crookedness of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate
- but showing loving-commitment to thousands, to those who love Me and guard my commands.
- You do not bring the Name of Yahweh your Elohim to naught, for Yahweh does not leave the one unpunished who brings
His Name to nought.
- Remember the Sabbath Day, to set it apart.
- Six days you labour and shall do all your work,
the seventh day is a Sabbath of Yahweh your Elohim. You do not do any work – you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor
your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
- For in six days Yahweh made the heavens and the earth, and the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh
day. Therefore Yahweh blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart.
- Respect your father
and your mother, so that your days are prolonged upon the soil which Yahweh your Elohim is giving you.
- You do not murder.
- You do not commit adultery.
do not steal.
- You do not bear false witness against your neighbour.
do not covet your neighbours house, you do not covet your neighbours wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor
his ox, nor his donkey, or whatever belongs to your neighbour.”